Should we remove chromium-browser from the archive?

Olivier Tilloy olivier.tilloy at canonical.com
Tue Feb 8 18:33:29 UTC 2022

The chromium-browser package has been a "transitional" package that
installs the chromium snap since Ubuntu 19.10. Full-fledged deb
packages are still being built for 18.04.

The question of whether to remove this transitional package from the
archive altogether has come up, so I'm sharing it here to get insights
and feedback from a wider audience before making an informed decision.

Some features of the deb package that are worth taking into account:
 - /usr/bin/{chromium-browser,chromedriver} symlinks to their snap counterparts
 - a postinst script that installs alternatives for x-www-browser and
gnome-www-browser (unfortunately snapd doesn't have any mechanism for
this yet)
 - a custom apport hook that collects additional information about the
snap and its dependencies
 - did I miss any other features?

Orthogonal to this, it's been reported that the version number of the
deb is confusing, because it contains a random outdated chromium
version, but this can be addressed separately if the package remains
in the archive with the use of an epoch to reset the version scheme to
something saner.

I welcome your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

 Olivier