glibc 2.35 is coming to jammy

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Feb 7 12:00:19 UTC 2022

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 2:04 AM Michael Hudson-Doyle
<michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 at 10:47, Michael Hudson-Doyle <michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> glibc 2.35 is due to be released next week and the plan is to get it into Ubuntu pretty soon after that. As usual, this will run a very large number of autopkgtests and so be a bit disruptive, but I'm not expecting enormous fallout from this update based on the testing we have done so far. Assuming things line up, I'll try to upload on my Friday so that the infrastructure can grind away over the weekend.
>

> I've just uploaded the release to jamy. Hopefully all the tests will be done by next week!

Thanks Michael!

Just in case anyone ran into a similar FTBFS due to 2.35 - it seems
that something in poll has changed and combining
"-O2 +LTO +libc 2.35"  which now are all default in jammy-proposed can
lead to breakage complaining like:

  error: ‘__poll_chk’ specified size between 18446744071562067968 and
18446744073709551615 exceeds maximum object size 9223372036854775807
[-Werror=stringop-overflow=]

For my case I've added a mitigation and reported it upstream, see [1].
But since FTFBS due to the new libc6 often follows a pattern and
breaks many packages the same way I wanted to bring it up here for
awareness.
Maybe there is a better global fix for it or at least some people can
save some time on debugging this issue.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/open-vm-tools/+bug/1960224

> Cheers,
> mwh