Version string to auto-sync an Ubuntu delta (maysync1 vs ~willsync1)

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 18 15:38:20 UTC 2022

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 08:28:29AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I'm concerned that this requires subscription to the package in Debian for
> this to not fall off the radar.  We have merges.ubuntu.com which tracks
> which packages need to be updated, and the standing assumption is that the
> person who last uploaded the package to Ubuntu is responsible for following
> through on the merges.  Is this not the current practice of the Ubuntu
> Server team?

I think Andreas' mention of using a subscription was just about being
more responsive, rather than as a substitute for grep-merges.

But to answer your question of what our team does:

We found that our packages weren't getting merged when last touched by
people outside the team, or people who had left. So instead we monitor
the status of all packages that we're subscribed to, and schedule such
outstanding merges and track their progress, as our primary means of
ensuring that merges happen.

This doesn't work so well when we touch packages outside the normal
scope of our team, such as during +1 maintenance, or sponsoring
something unrelated to the server team.

We do try to use grep-merges too though, and as it happens I reminded
everyone in our standup today that they need to do this.

However this is an individual thing, not a team thing. I think the
cracks identified above suggest that we should find a better way.