Packaging policy discussion: After=network-online.target

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu May 13 18:22:22 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 05:34:58PM +0100, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> However, I still have the same question - what if network connectivity
> drops & gets re-established? Should we bounce the
> network-online.target (aka restart it)? We can declare for units to be
> restarted, when network-online.target is restarted, if they otherwise
> themselves are incapable to dynamically detect networking loss &
> networking resumption.

I think that's a significant semantic change to the target and out of scope
for the current question.

Most of the units that depend on network-online.target today should /not/
rerun just because the network has dropped and returned.

Also, what defines "network connectivity drops"?  If any one of the
non-optional interfaces loses connectivity briefly, should things be
restarted?  If DNS is restarted, should things be restarted?  Should it only
be if the default route drops?  Etc.  Yes, there's possible value in systemd
being able to stop and restart services that require the full network to be
useful, but there are a lot of details to sort out and I'd rather we focus
on at least get the existing target working reliably first.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/