Packaging policy discussion: After=network-online.target

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Thu May 13 11:59:39 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 08:53:28AM -0300, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> Take kdump-tools, for example. After a system crash, it will reboot into a mode
> that collects a memory dump and reboot. Some times, it is configured to send
> the dump through the network. If the network does not come up after some
> timeout, it should just reboot. And systemd machinery is leveraged to
> accomplish that. As long as that is what is happening and it's documented, I
> don't see a reason to not use After=network-online.target.

What does "if the network does not come up" mean in your case? For
example, what if multiple networks are defined, or, in the case of a
laptop, no network is defined? And what if a network comes up, but there
is nothing on the other end to receive the dump?

Surely the key thing here is that the dump is transmitted to something
that can receive it, and if the dump isn't transmitted after a timeout,
it should reboot? That's not necessarily the same as the network being
"up" (whatever that might mean), or network-online.target having been
reached. We wouldn't want to block on the "wrong" network being up,
either, if the "right" network is already up and ready to receive the
dump.