Packaging policy discussion: After=network-online.target

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Thu May 13 09:16:35 UTC 2021

Hi,

Thank you for raising this!

I have half a draft that I was preparing to debian-devel@ to try and
seek consensus there on this. Since we inherit most of our packaging
from Debian, I thought I'd try there in the first instance, as otherwise
whatever we do in Ubuntu may end up being "overridden" by Debian anyway.

I'll post a link to this thread when I post that (it won't be this
week).

I'd also like to point out that, IMHO at least, this is far from urgent,
as users can already override using the existing systemd override
mechanisms that will cover their local customisations. This is a pattern
already necessary, for example when users use paths not already
permitted by shipped AppArmor rules. For this reason, I think we should
hold on any SRUs until consensus is reached. Even when we conclude what
general packaging pattern to use, I'm not sure that changing behaviour
in SRUs makes sense, since we might regress users by creating timeouts
when they are configured in particular ways.

But let's see where the discussions lead.

Robie