SRU requirement to fix post-LTS stable releases

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 24 08:43:02 UTC 2021

Le 23/06/2021 à 16:14, Robie Basak a écrit :
> Looking at the previous thread, I think that was Steve's own opinion
> rather than an SRU team decision.
Right, the point was to nuance your ' longer standing SRU team members
considered it to be a requirement' statement which made it sounds like
everyone in the SRU team was of the same opinion.
> fix. I don't think it's possible to justify reducing engineering effort
> on the basis of "well, other bugs we don't know about exist".

I was not trying to justify reducing engineering effort but mainly
pointing out that 'the user experience is harmed if a user installing
Focal subsequent to the bugfix landing in Focal, and therefore unaware
of any bug, then upgrades to Hirsute and is regressed' isn't a situation
in the hand of the SRU team alone and is a reality for users upgrading
to a new serie.

But focusing again on the point, we have limited manpower and we are
going to have cases where the maintainer isn't going to be wanting to
put the work to SRU to multiple series. Which means the question is 'Do
we believe it's better for the project and our users to have a bug fixed
in the LTS only or not fixed for anyone'?

I'm personally strongly in favor of not having a policy that could get
in the way of bringing higher quality and polish to LTS users (keeping
in mind that's where most of our users are and what our partners rely on
usually).

Cheers,
Sebastien