Proposal: sunset the backports pockets

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Mon Jul 19 22:18:08 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 02:24:30PM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> I'd love to see it working the same way it works in Debian.  With
> random developers uploading (AND TAKING ON THEM THE RESPONSABILITY TO
> KEEP IT WORKING AND POSSIBLY UPDATED EVER AFTER), whilst a "team" is
> only tasked with basically verifying that the version string is sane and
> won't break update.

'Put the responsibility on the uploader' sounds like PPAs.

Ondřej Surý's PPA is a good example of a backports-like experience
where the developer has indicated how to report bugs in his package,
takes care to mark the packages with a visible version string to help
everyone properly triage issues, etc: https://deb.sury.org/

I think part of why -backports hasn't worked for Ubuntu in the time that
I've been paying attention is that PPAs do a decent job of replacing it.
Anyone who would be interested in using -backports can instead upload
to their own PPA and get immediate sucess.

I think it's time we remove -backports and all the documentation around
it. (Of course, actually removing packages from the -backports package
wouldn't be kind to the few using it, so we might not really be able to
clean up after it for a few years, but we can at least start the process.)

Yes even this requires doing work (and asking other people to do work).
But I can easily volunteer to clean up a few wiki pages, far easier than
I can volunteer to tend to the -backports pocket itself.

Thanks

ps I was curious to see how many packages are in -backports:

sarnold at wopr:/srv/mirror/ubuntu/dists $ for d in focal-backports bionic-backports xenial-backports trusty-backports; do echo === $d === ; pushd $d > /dev/null ; zcat */binary-amd64/Packages.gz | awk -F/ '/^Filename/ {print $4;}' | sort -u ; popd > /dev/null ; done
=== focal-backports ===
cockpit
ibus-typing-booster
lvm2