Proposal: sunset the backports pockets

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 19 17:56:39 UTC 2021

Hi Erich,

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:18:36AM -0700, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> TL;DR: Don't sunset the backports, but reform the process.

Ubuntu is a meritocracy. We invite anybody, from any company, to
participate in any aspect of the project.

I would be happy to see the backports process stay, with reform that
actually works. Like you, I would prefer that, so in that sense, I
completely agree with you.

However, somebody needs to drive that reform. Nobody has. The last time
the topic of reform came up, nobody apart from me bothered to respond to
the thread.

There are many people making many suggestions in this thread now, but
still so far, nobody has volunteered. I don't think that anybody has
disagreed that the current situation is actively damaging to our
community.

*Given that* nobody is stepping up to reform the process, I think that
sunsetting the process is the least worst option. It might be a
difficult, unwelcome decision, but it is one that needs to be made.

I appreciate the points you're making. However, unless you (or somebody
else qualified) are actively volunteering to step in and drive the
reform, I cannot give your position much weight. Because how can I,
knowing that nobody volunteering means that the current harmful
situation will continue? To me, when you say you want reform, I hear
that the status quo will continue because nobody will step up to drive
that reform, and for me that is unacceptable.

Please don't block an improvement by requesting work that nobody is
volunteering to do.