Improvements to the point-release release process - stricter processes for fixes

Lukasz Zemczak lukasz.zemczak at
Thu Feb 25 09:38:53 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

In an attempt to improve our processes and quality of the LTS
point-release images, starting with 20.04.3 (in August) we will be
trying a bit of a safer approach. Basically the main noticeable change
is that we will now be following the SRU procedures even for any
release blockers that we find during the point-release week. This
means that, besides some very exceptional cases, every fix (even for a
blocker) will have to follow the same verification, regression
analysis and aging period process - in which case, if a bug is found
in the release candidate images, we will be simply delaying the point
release until the fix is verified, aged and only then released into

Delaying a point-release is unfortunate, but better than lowering our
quality standards.

We had a few cases already where our last minute fixes, fast-tracked
under time pressure, were not tested thoroughly enough and introduced
regressions (or, similarly annoying, appeared to be only partial
fixes). As quality is the most important aspect of any Ubuntu release,
we want to make sure users get the best experience of our
point-release images.

To accommodate this change, and to make sure as many release blockers
are found as early as possible, we will also be switching -proposed
off from the series daily image builds 2 weeks before release (so a
week before the first release candidate images are planned).
Previously we stuck with proposed-enabled daily images until one week
before release (only switching those off for when release candidates
are built), mainly as a legacy from old times when -proposed as a
whole was flushed to -updates as part of the process. This has not
been done since years already (as it's no longer safe), so leaving
-proposed on dailies makes less sense than it had in the past.

What does it all mean to you, developers?

Please be sure to land any critical or important changes for the given
point-release as soon as possible, preferably with release -2 weeks as
the deadline. Every other last minute SRU will potentially be risking
the delay of the release.
Also, once -proposed is disabled for dailies, it would also be
wonderful if the pre-point-release images could get as much testing as
possible. The sooner critical issues are identified, the higher
chances are we will not have to slip the release.

I'm pretty confident that with these changes we will all benefit equally.

Thank you!

On behalf or the release team,

Ɓukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team
 lukasz.zemczak at

More information about the ubuntu-devel mailing list