+1 Maintenace Report

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Fri Dec 10 22:06:27 UTC 2021

The areas I focused on for my +1 week were node-*, breezy & co, and NBS.

### Node ###

Hundreds of node-* packages were stuck in migration at the start of the
week.  The vast majority of these were blocked by a circular build
dependency situation between this set of packages:

  * node-tap
  * node-tap-parser
  * node-istanbul
  * node-js-yaml

The solution was to soften the Breaks for the latter package and then
rebuild and retrigger the set.  This cleared the circular dependency and
triggered dozens of node-* packages to successfully transition on their
own.  Many more transitioned with manual rebuilds and/or retriggers,
including npm.

Now that node-tap and node-tap-parser are transitioned, I've sync'd a
new node-js-yaml on top of my temporary fix.  This new version adds
another break against a new version of node-gulp-concat, which I've also
sync'd.

There's still a bunch of node packages that still need attention:

  * node-nodemailer:
    - Encountering one test failure due to missing DKIM-Signature on a
      test email.
  * node-matrix-js-sdk:
    - Missing build dependencies: node-matrix-org-olm
    - There is no package 'node-matrix-org-olm' in debian or ubuntu.
    - Nothing Depends on node-matrix-js-sdk afaict, so if it is blocking
      anything, perhaps its binaries could be removed for now?
  * node-trust-keyto:
    - Error: Cannot find module '@trust/keyto'
  * node-domino:
    - Tests here need reset since it flakily failed once
  * node-ast-types:
    - Single failure on i386, probably flaky test
    - I tried retriggering the i386 run, but probably needs reset
  * node-recast:
    - Depends on node-ast-types (above)

There are also a bunch that fail on i386-only.  I don't know if i386 is
relevant for node-*; if not then perhaps these fails can be overridden?
Several are failing on 'code 14' (dunno what that is) or might be flaky
fails.

  * node-caniuse-db
  * node-json-loader
  * node-unicode-match-property-value-ecmascript
  * node-unicode-property-aliases
  * node-unicode-property-value-aliases
  * node-unicode-property-value-aliases-ecmascript
  * node-unicode-canonical-property-names-ecmascript
  * node-unicode-property-aliases-ecmascript

### Breezy ###

Between myself and several other +1'ers chipping away at this in the
past, breezy itself has been fixed and updated to the latest version,
and packages that required the latest version have updated and
transitioned.  This week I worked on some of the remnants:

* debmutate:
  - AttributeError: 'Deb822' object has no attribute 'order_last'.  This
    API is in a newer version of debian-python than we carry.  I
    reverted the change for now, it can be dropped once debian-python
    gets its update.
  - Fixed some Test cases that break when the package has a 'ubuntu' version
    string.  This may need better attention later, but works for now.

* breezy-loom:
  - Builds fine, but the autopkgtests fail miserably against the latest
    version of breezy.
  - Filed LP: #1953549 to demote breezy-loom to -proposed until upstream
    has an update that will work with breezy.  We can re-add it cheaply
    then, so demoting it should help enable breezy to migrate.

The last piece is "lintian-brush", which I started working on as well,
but it looks like it's grown additional test failures, and wonder if it
needs newer breezy changes, yet again.  This package sounds like it's
very specific to Debian package maintenance.  Do we use it in Ubuntu
package maintenance?

### NBS ###

I worked a bit on a script to extract the list of faulty packages for
NBS and do no-change rebuilds in a PPA.  Using the results from that, I
attempted the following NBS fixes:

  * biboumi:
    - d/control needed to specify libidn-dev instead of libidn11-dev
  * cataclysm-dda:
    - No-change rebuild to remove dependence on ttf-unifont
  * collectd:
    - No-change rebuild for libssl3
  * flint:
    - No-change rebuild to update from libntl43 to libntl44

### Rebuilds / Retriggers ###

Most of these just needed simple rebuilds or retriggers.  Some needed
excuses-kicker to generate the right set of trigger commands:

  * twine
  * gnome-user-docs
  * ubuntu-docs
  * vdeplug-agno
  * rust-parking-lot
  * xapian-bindings
  * node-mdn-browser-compat-data

### Summary ###

2021-12-06 1970 update excuse records found
2021-12-07 1401
2021-12-08 1415
2021-12-09 1404
2021-12-10 1282