liburing1 -> liburing2 transition

Paride Legovini paride at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 3 16:31:42 UTC 2021

Paride Legovini wrote on 19/11/2021:
> This will be a small transition, only affecting the following packages:
> Package: qemu
> Package: samba
> Package: mpd
> Package: plocate

An update on this: while the transition by itself is small, mpd causes
it to intersect with two other (auto-)transitions which are currently
happening:

- fluidsynth (SONAME bump: libfluidsynth2 -> libfluidsynth3)
- libopenmpt (new symbols => new binary relationships).

In the hope of simplifying things I filed a bug asking for fluidsynth to
be temporarily pulled from jammy-proposed:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fluidsynth/+bug/1952918

OTOH libopenmpt has the following excuse:

* removing libopenmpt-modplug1/0.4.22-1/i386 from testing makes
vlc-plugin-base/3.0.16-1/i386 uninstallable

Note that this is an i386 thing. AIUI this is happening because
libopenmpt-modplug1 used to come from src:libopenmpt, but got moved to a
separate source package (src:libopenmpt-modplug), which was first synced
in Jammy. This package isn't in the i386 seed germinate output [1]; I
was confused at first, but I think the reason is that the actual vlc
Build-Dep is:

   libopenmpt-modplug-dev | libmodplug-dev (>= 1:0.8.9)

which *is* satisfied in the germinate list via libmodplug-dev, however
vlc-plugin-base still has binary dependencies based on
libopenmpt-modplug-dev (but FIXME!). This can be sorted out by:

(a) directly seeding libopenmpt-modplug for i386 (and doing [2]); or

(b) dropping libopenmpt-modplug1/i386 from the archive and doing a
no-change rebuild of vlc. The new i386 vlc-plugin-base will then rely on
libmodplug. This isn't really nice as the i386 deps will be different
from the other archs, but at least it won't grow the i386 seed.

Here the ball goes to the Archive Admins.

Paride

[1]
https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/germinate-output/i386.jammy/i386+build-depends
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArchiveAdministration#i386_whitelist_updates