systemd enabling cgroup v2 by default (default-hierarchy=unified)

Lukas Märdian slyon at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 17 09:18:58 UTC 2021

Hi all,

After delaying this for a long time, we want to follow upstream, Debian
and others in switching to the "unified" cgroup hierarchy (cgroupv2) by
default:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/1850667

As discussed with the snapd and release teams, the next systemd upload
will land this change (before FeatureFreeze). We expect some minor
outfall in the proposed migration (wrt. snapd), that should be mitigated
via https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/10589 and resolved later this
cycle once the full snapd cgroup v2 support is landed:
https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3Acgroupv2

If for some reason you need to keep the legacy cgroup v1 hierarchy, you
can select it via a kernel parameter at boot time:
systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0

Cheers,
   Lukas