Second Groovy Gorilla test rebuild

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Tue Sep 29 10:28:34 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:07 AM Christian Ehrhardt
<christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 9:39 PM Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Matthias,
> >
> > Le 28/09/2020 à 18:07, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> > > Some build failures on ppc64el and s390x are caused by a buildd issue, and will
> > > be retried soonish. Please ignore these where you see a ftbfs just on those
> > > architectures, but successes on the other architectures.
> >
> > There seems to be some flakyness on arm as well, are those going to be
> > retried or should that be requested by e.g pinging you?
> >
> > Some examples
> >
> > https://launchpadlibrarian.net/499016257/buildlog_ubuntu-groovy-armhf.colord-gtk_0.2.0-0ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz
> > https://launchpadlibrarian.net/499209776/buildlog_ubuntu-groovy-arm64.gpm_1.20.7-6_BUILDING.txt.gz
> > https://launchpadlibrarian.net/499174464/buildlog_ubuntu-groovy-arm64.remmina_1.4.8+dfsg-1ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz
>
> Adding the same armhf dependency issue on these:
> htop: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/499078378/buildlog_ubuntu-groovy-arm64.htop_3.0.2-1_BUILDING.txt.gz
> openvpn: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/499161991/buildlog_ubuntu-groovy-armhf.openvpn_2.4.9-3ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz
> I see that Laney already filed a bug about that with IS.
>
> Furthermore some armhf issues are due to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-10/+bug/1890435
> php7.4: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/499168409/buildlog_ubuntu-groovy-armhf.php7.4_7.4.9-1ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz
>
> When doing an initial triage of some errors I found three sets of
> recurring issues:
> 1. rpc includes like "rpc/rpc.h: No such file"

FYI These are broken by libc6-dev dropping rpc.h being taken over by
libtirpc-dev
Paths changed:
Before:
# dpkg -S rpc/types.h rpc/rpc.h
libc6-dev:amd64: /usr/include/rpc/types.h
libc6-dev:amd64: /usr/include/rpc/rpc.h
After:
# dpkg -S rpc/types.h rpc/rpc.h
libtirpc-dev:amd64: /usr/include/tirpc/rpc/types.h
libtirpc-dev:amd64: /usr/include/tirpc/rpc/rpc.h

Ubuntu/Debian build of glibc for a long time had --enable-obsolete-rpc
but that was
now removed upstream and this is the fallout.
Include paths might need to add -I/usr/include/tirpc to resolve correctly.

This already exists in some places:
https://sources.debian.org/src/zsh/5.8-5/configure/?hl=11274#L11274
https://sources.debian.org/src/libquota-perl/1.8.1+dfsg-1/Makef

Not (yet) a problem in Debian because there we are still on 2.31
# dpkg -S rpc/types.h rpc/rpc.h
libc6-dev:amd64: /usr/include/rpc/types.h
libc6-dev:amd64: /usr/include/rpc/rpc.h

And we are by pushing glibc2.32 late in groovy we are forcing everything that
is left to resolve the same now. I'm not sure should glibc provide a compat
path - I assume this was made so that every project has to make a concious
switch?

Note, in most cases this include path should be covered by libtirpc pkg-config.
# pkg-config --cflags libtirpc
-I/usr/include/tirpc
But e.g. in the case of open-vm-tools that seems not to be propagated to all
toolchain calls :-/