Launchpad builder VMs upgraded to bionic

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Wed Sep 9 15:31:46 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 02:51:45PM -0300, Guilherme Piccoli wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Colin Watson <cjwatson at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Failing that, can somebody advise on whether there's an appropriate way
> > to configure this in an image without having to maintain a fork of
> > systemd?  The workflow here is that we consume Ubuntu cloud images and
> > make a few small changes to them, mostly things like installing
> > launchpad-buildd, before publishing them to Glance for use when starting
> > new builder VMs.
>
> I think the cloud image folks can chime in with good ideas, but I'd
> consider cloud-init - likely it's possible to configure it in a way to
> apply this change on boot time. Another idea: would it be possible to
> change launchpad-buildd to accomplish the ulimit change ?

Both of these are likely to be harder than just changing the image to
add the appropriate bit of configuration, IMO.  cloud-init makes sense
when you're using unmodified cloud images, but we already have a
pipeline for modifying images for our use;
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~canonical-sysadmins/canonical-is-charms/launchpad-buildd-image-modifier/view/head:/files/scripts/setup-ppa-buildd
is the key bit here.  (But I'd still need to know what exactly we need
to set there.)

I'd still like it to be fixed in bionic's systemd, even if we need to
work around it in the short term.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson at canonical.com]