+1 maintenance status − June 18-19

Brian Murray brian at canonical.com
Wed Jul 1 17:16:27 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 05:33:43PM +0200, Olivier Tilloy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 7:59 PM Brian Murray <brian at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 08:03:56PM +0200, Olivier Tilloy wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > I was on +1 maintenance shift this Thursday and Friday.
> > > This is what I managed to get through:
> > >
> > >   * rocksdb FTBFS: filed https://launchpad.net/bugs/1884072,
> > > cherry-picked one upstream patch and wrote another trivial one,
> > > attached debdiff to the bug report, needs sponsoring (but low priority
> > > because the new upstream version that is available in experimental
> > > builds fine)
> > >   * python-cogent: looked at autopkgtests failures, but I couldn't
> > > reproduce them locally, I asked for retries with various triggers, but
> > > no luck
> >
> > I'm curious how you ran the python-cogent autopkgtests as I was able to
> > recreate the failure using qemu as the virtualization server during one
> > of my previous +1 shifts.
> >

> I had used a groovy chroot on my focal laptop, admittedly a different
> environment than what's used to run autopkgtests.
> I tried again today, using the lxd virtualization server (supposedly much
> closer to the real thing), and it's still happily passing here.

As I understand it using QEMU is closest to the real thing as it
provides "a full machine including kernel/hardware access"[1] and the
current documentation says "most test results should be reproducible in
a local QEMU VM"[2]. Is that still accurate Laney?

The impression I get from the running-tests document is that some
virtual servers are faster than others but do not provide enough
isolation for some tests, subsequently if it doesn't fail with one of
the quick virtualization servers then you should use QEMU (provided that
is closest to the real thing).

https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autopkgtest/blob/master/doc/README.running-tests.rst
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ProposedMigration#autopkgtests

--