How to handle tmpfiles.d in non-systemd environments

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Tue Feb 18 01:11:22 UTC 2020

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 13:37, Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:31:40AM +1300, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> > On the face of it, the package is buggy. tmpfiles configs are processed
> by
> > systemd, the package depends on the tmpfiles config being processed -> it
> > should Depend: on systemd. This is not a path forward to having it work
> in
> > a docker container though.
>
> This is a good point. I believe this has been discussed in Debian, and
> that there was an argument that it's better not to enforce that via a
> dependency for now since doing so would preclude alternative init
> systems from being usable. I don't know if that discussion concluded.

There was some discussion along some of these lines, yes. One approach
would be to have several packages to use alternatives to provide
/bin/tmpfiles (and Provide: tmpfiles in their control file). But that
hasn't happened yet.

> For Ubuntu specifically, I believe it's not buggy because we can assume
> that systemd is present.

systemd is not present in docker containers!

> As you said though, this is largely unrelated to the Docker use case we
> want to enable.
>
> I commented in the bug about that.

I think my previous email outlined a possible solution. I could copy my
idea to the bug I guess...

Cheers,
mwh