Ubuntu Focal update of broken Calibre package

James Cuzella james.cuzella at lyraphase.com
Wed Dec 23 01:11:15 UTC 2020

Thanks Dmitry for pointing me in the right direction!

I tried to backport the set of Qt5 and qtwebengine packages and found out
what large set of build dependencies it was!

So what I said is true: this requires simultaneous changes in many packages,
> even if it's just a rebuild for some of them.

Yes!  Qt5 is indeed a very large project too!  I'm sure there is a Lord of
the Rings meme that applies here like: "One does not simply backport Qt5" 😄

Simply using the backportpackage tool on qtwebengine-opensource-src started
a build dependency hunt that resulted in finding a massive set of Qt5
packages that needed to be backported (without relaxing version
constraints).
A lot of these eventually resolved into being blocked on circular
dependency chains.

I was able to spend a few hours on this to visually represent what I found
(See Gist linked below):

https://gist.github.com/b005fa0ef6e600c6a6e0dfd22dd3e604

I'm not sure how the Debian or Ubuntu teams build and backport Qt5 packages
when so many build dependencies resolve circularly.
I suppose they must bootstrap this dependency chain somehow, but it seems
like more work than I have time to figure out at the moment.

Any ideas for how to simplify this?

Thanks,
- James Cuzella