Proposal: Let's drop i386

Thomas Ward teward at thomas-ward.net
Thu May 10 20:25:25 UTC 2018

All:

I hate to interject this late in the thread, but I think we need to
clarify what the discussion actually entails.

On the #ubuntu-release IRC channel, it became clear that the purpose of
this thread was not entirely clear, so we need to clarify specifically:

Are we discussing dropping support for i386 *installation images*, or
are we talking about dropping i386 altogether, including in the
repositories in general?

I don't particularly have a care one way or another for the installation
images, as all my infrastructure is either amd64 powered or ARM powered.

However, killing i386 support globally could introduce issues, including
but not limited to certain upstream softwares having to go away
entirely, due to the interdependency or issues with how certain apps
work (read; Wine, 32-bit support, 64-bit support being flaky, and
Windows apps being general pains in that they work on 32bit but not
always on 64-bit).

So with the scope of this email chain, I would like to request a
clarification before we go forward much more with this email chain: Are
we discussing dropping 32-bit for *installer images* this cycle, or are
we talking about the complete global death of i386 as a supported
architecture?

(I can see both sides of the argument, but it's important to
differentiate for the purposes of this chain)

Thomas