Ubiquity NG - was Re: ubiquity migrated to git

Chris MacNaughton chris.macnaughton at canonical.com
Wed May 9 11:34:51 UTC 2018

Hey Mark / Simon,
> <snip />
>> Third, we have Electron, which is the HTML5 app framework used by world
>> class app developers. Skype, Spotify and a ton of GREAT apps on Ubuntu
>> are Electron apps.
> I respectfully disagree that this is the correct approach for a system
> installer. With all due respect to these very popular applications,
> Electron uses quite a bit of system resources and could be interesting
> to get working correctly. If you are absolutely certain that this is the
> way to go, I won't argue this point too much, but I believe that you
> would have triple the speed (and/or it would use a third of the memory)
> by writing a native application rather than an Electron one, and with
> proper testing and organization (perhaps by using a compiled language
> rather than an interpreted one, etc.), it would be a very welcome speed
> jump over the current Ubiquity codebase.
As a potential alternative to Electron for cross platform webapps built
on web technologies, it might be worth looking into webview
(https://github.com/zserge/webview) as an alternative. From some of the
things I've been seeing around the web it gives reasonable compatibility
with Electron without adding the entire Chromium engine to each
application; rather, it uses built in web rendering engines wherever
possible.

Chris MacNaughton
chris.macnaughton at canonical.com