Launchpad i386 build: Memory exhausted

Cesare Falco cesare.falco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 08:56:46 UTC 2018

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 09:21:56AM +0100, Cesare Falco wrote:
> > I'm packaging latest MAME 0.194 and it builds fine on my PPA.
> > Unfortunately, link fails for i386 due to virtual machine memory issues:
> >
> > /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Memory exhausted
> [...]
> > Does anyone know whether virtual machines for official Ubuntu releases
> have
> > more resources, specifically more memory?
>
> PPA builds and Ubuntu builds use 100% identical virtual machines.
>
> Anyway, it's not that the virtual *machine* is out of memory; it's that
> any single 32-bit process can only address a certain amount of that
> memory.  As far as I'm aware, there's no option but to continue trying
> to persuade the linker to take less memory.

Mame 0.195 has been released in the meantime.
I experimented lots of tweaking and they all led me nowhere. :-(

The resulting executable is *big* indeed, and this is the definitive issue.
:-/

I'm asking everyone for advice: assuming that no i386 build seems possible
any more, should I:
- stop maintaing Mame
- remove i386 from the supported archs
- ... (any suggestion is welcome here!)

Thank you all in advance, have a nice day!
Cesare