-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions in Ubuntu but not debian/ why?

Andreas Hasenack andreas at canonical.com
Thu Jun 7 17:45:12 UTC 2018

Hi,

does anybody recall why Ubuntu has -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions in
dpkg-buildflags --get LDFLAGS but not Debian? It seems to be the case for
about 10 years now, according to dpkg's changelog.

I came across this change because of a delta we have been carrying in the
autofs package for fix segfaults on startup and other issues:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/1470687: Not working
properly with compile options "-symbolic-functions"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/1472115: autofs start
fails: segfault at 0 ip ...

d/rules has had a trick to drop -Bsymbolic-functions from LDFLAGS at build
time (hello sed), but it still leaks through when building the lookup_ldap
module via $(krb5-config --libs), hence the current
d/p/fix-lookup-ldap-crash.patch patch we have been carrying.

Debian doesn't set -Bsymbolic-functions, and upstream works if you just
make && make install it, that's why I guess the patch was never forwarded
up the chain.