Globally refreshing new group membership - would be needed after some package installations

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Fri Aug 3 10:13:30 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 1:32 PM Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 01:16:04PM +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> > I was wondering if there is a common pattern to resolve this that might
> > just be unknown to me yet and that I could use in packaging.
>
> I have in mind to write a wrapper that checks if "newgrp" or "sg" would
> succeed and exec itself via that if so. I'm not aware of this being an
> existing pattern though.
>
> If we wanted to make it a standard thing, we could provide such a
> wrapper in a package and then packages that wanted to use it could
> register with (and symlink to) the wrapper.

If working this could maybe fixup the terminal it is running in but not
more than that.
- New terminals started from UI might still have old group membership (if
not a new login)
- And the UI itself when click-starting things will not have changed

I'm a console guy myself, but that would only only fix part of the problem
:-/
Especially as the console-addicted folks are those who would mostly have
known "that they have to" and "how to" refresh their groups.

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server