The Gnome Ubuntu Extension

xaba xaba at riseup.net
Sun Apr 15 01:23:31 UTC 2018

The Gnome Ubuntu Extension, by Xaba
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2389283&p=13756647#post13756647

Hi buddies. I have a Dream!

I don't know if someone already proposed a "Gnome Ubuntu" extension to
offer an Ubuntu Unity experience in Gnome. If Canonical doesn't want to
continue developing the Unity, they could maintain an official "Gnome
Ubuntu" extension to offer the Unity experience in Gnome and take care
the "Unity orphans". If Canonical doesn't want to do it, doesn't matter,
we can do it. If they like this idea, great, please, help us.

So, my proposal is combine the extensions bellow in an unique "Gnome
Ubuntu" extension to have a Ubuntu Unity experience in Gnome:

• Ubuntu appindicators (Ubuntu 18.04 native)

• Ubuntu dock (Ubuntu 18.04 native)

• Gnome global application menu
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1250/gnome-global-application-menu/
https://github.com/lestcape/Gnome-Global-AppMenu
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/global-menu-for-gnome-extension-development

• Hide Activities Button (we have two options)
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/744/hide-activities-button/
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1128/hide-activities-button/

I am using the extensions and they are working very well in Ubuntu
18.04, with the exception of "Hide Activities Button" extension that is
not working (well, here is not working).

My suggestions are also:

[S1] Creating an option to hide the title bar of the windows and put the
buttons in the top left corner of the top bar, like the Unity
experience. While there is not a solution to solve it, I am also using
the extension:

• Hide Top Bar
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/545/hide-top-bar/
https://github.com/mlutfy/hidetopbar

[S2] Creating an option to change the "Show Application" side of the
dock with the options "Top" or "Down".

Going beyond, I would like suggesting to the Gnome Community:

[G1] Including the functionalities of the unity-gtk-module packages in
the GTK native functions. Why not? This would improve the GTK
functionalities. Let's propose it to the GTK community and check their
opinion.

[G2] Combining and integrate the "Settings" and "Tweaks" gnome
applications in just one application. Please, let's integrate and simplify.

I believe when can flow using, combining and integrating the resources
that are already available to co-create more optimized and fancy /
beautiful solutions to attending our preferences.

I don't have big programming skills and I don't have a lot free time to
kick off it. So, if you feel the call, please, I need your help to make
this Dream true.

Constructive, enthusiastic and appreciative ideas, comments, suggestions
to make this Dream true are welcome.

ADDENDUM: My intention with my post is not to stimulate an Ubuntu Unity
project to maintain Unity in some way, because I know this it already
happening. If there are people thinking in this direction, it is great,
let's see what happen. My intention is, mainly, stimulating the creation
of one Gnome extension that simulate all, or most, the Unity
functionalities in Gnome, because in my point of view, it is easier
maintain an Gnome extension than all Unity and Compiz applications.
Considering Canonical is more interested in maintain the Servers
services instead the Desktop services, this could be a good solution for
Canonical take care the "Unity orphans" and, in the same time, improve
the Gnome functionalities for the people that want it. Was it clear?
Hey, Canonical people, please, think about it (probably they already
thought about it) !

Hugs and Cheers.

Xaba