Old Firefox versions discourage real-world testing of Ubuntu development versions

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 4 12:48:14 UTC 2017

Hi Matt,

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:19:28PM -0400, Matt Ruffalo wrote:
> Is there a specific policy or technical reason for Ubuntu development
> versions to only receive Firefox updates in "proposed" instead of
> "release" before a certain point?

I think you're quite right to say that this discourages users from
testing the development release, and to call it out here.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ProposedMigration. Packages get stuck in the
proposed pocket of the development release due to unresolved technical
issues rather than some policy decision. In this case it looks like it
is because the latest Firefox package is failing to build on all
architectures.

So it's a matter of finding developer time to fix this, rather than some
decision to not push it through. I imagine it's the Ubuntu desktop team
who generally would look after this package; they have a separate
mailing list if you'd like to talk to them about their priorities.

Hope that helps,

Robie