Report: Sponsorship queue squashing party

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 30 11:53:04 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 06:47:14PM +0000, Robie Basak wrote:
> I propose to get some sponsors together on a nominated day with a goal of
> getting the sponsorship queue down to zero (current count 62).

Many thanks to the sponsors who joined us yesterday. We started the day
on 78 items. According to our status whiteboard pad, we cleared 36 items
from the queue. Today there are 42 items remaining. So we managed to
clear more than half of the queue.

According to our pad, the participants and the number of items they
worked on were: rbasak (22), mterry (11), nacc (9), seb128 (4), sil2100 (1),
and mdeslaur (1). Thank you very much for your participation and helping
us get the queue down!

I did cheat with my own figure: by going first I cleared the queue from
the top, and I suspect there were a greater proportion of these for
which no action was needed.

Given the progress made, I think that getting the queue down to zero and
kept down near zero is entirely achievable, and I propose doing this
kind of thing again regularly.

I count at least 23 items that we cleared from the queue that did not
result in a upload (for various reasons). That's more than half of what
we cleared that didn't actually need an uploader. I think this is
interesting because it means prospective uploaders who are most of the
way to getting upload access should be able to help with the sponsorship
queue too. If this describes you, then please consider it next time!

I was quite ruthless in removing items from the queue, and in my
opinion this is the right approach to take. Otherwise the queue gets so
cluttered with items that need no action right now that sponsors waste
precious time unable to find something useful to do while patch
piloting.