To access IPP-over-USB printer: Emulate remote machine in the network

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 12:53:27 UTC 2017

On 02/23/2017 12:47 AM, Seth Arnold wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 04:42:46PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> So it looks like that we need to work with an extra interface (dummy0 with
>> IPv6) and find a way to let Avahi broadcast the interface's own host name or
>
> Would you mind changing the name to something that would more clearly
> reflect the reason why this dummy interface exists?
>
> e.g., cups0 or cupsbrowser or cupslocal.
>
> Ideally it'd be unique enough that searching the web for the name would
> return our documentation about it and nothing else. 'dummy0' would easily
> fail that test.

I also came already to this idea and in my most recent tests I called
the interface "ippusbxd". I set up the interface for testing with the
following commands:

sudo ip link add ippusbxd type dummy
sudo ip link set ippusbxd up
sudo ip link set ippusbxd multicast on
sudo ip -6 addr add 'fd00:1:1::1/64' dev ippusbxd

Note that for the testing I use a fixed IP address. For production a
random one should be chosen.

    Till