pkgstripfiles killed during build

dann frazier dann.frazier at canonical.com
Mon Mar 13 17:12:23 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I get a strange error with “mathjax” package on Ubuntu buildds.
>
> One of the binary packages (fonts-mathjax-extras) contains a lot of small
> PNG files. And with the last upload (2.7.0-2) I get this [1]:
>
>   pkgstripfiles: Running PNG optimization (using 4 cpus) for package fonts-mathjax-extras ...
>   [...]
>   .o...o.o..o..ooo.......o.ooo.o.oo.oo....o..oo...oooo..o...o..o...oo.o.ooo..oo.o..oo..ooooo....o..o.oo.....o...o
>   /usr/bin/pkgstripfiles: line 63: 21195 Killed                  sed -i -f $sedscript DEBIAN/md5sums
>   dh_builddeb.pkgbinarymangler: dpkg-deb --build debian/fonts-mathjax-extras .. returned exit code 137
>    dpkg-genchanges --build=any,all -mLaunchpad Build Daemon <buildd at lgw01-10.buildd> >../mathjax_2.7.0-2_amd64.changes
>   dpkg-genchanges: info: binary-only upload (no source code included)
>   dpkg-genchanges: error: cannot fstat file ../fonts-mathjax-extras_2.7.0-2_all.deb: No such file or directory
>   dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-genchanges gave error exit status 2
>
> I tried retrying the build a couple of times, it did not help.
>
> With the previous upload (2.7.0-1) it was fine [2], and the last upload did
> not make any changes to the PNG files.
>
> Does anybody know why this may be happening?

Dmitry,
  Just a guess - but maybe the build has exhausted the builder's
memory? If so, you might be able to workaround it by restricting the
parallel level. I can't offer an explanation as to why it started
occurring with this upload. Assuming nothing about the builder memory
config has changed, you might need to compare memory usage profiles w/
an older build environment to look for red flags.

  -dann

  -dann