Enabling Connectivity Checking in NetworkManager

Aron Xu happyaron at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 2 04:54:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'd like to see it get enabled by default eventually, but preferably
provide a toggle in Privacy tab for Unity desktop (and configurable
check URL) which provides better user experience without compromising
privacy needs. But there remains a question for other desktops flavors
how to handle it (which is worse than the config-connectivity package
approach).

Some facts about how to actually do the check:
1. iOS uses a similar approach via HTTPS like what we NM does
2. Android uses a 204 response from server via HTTPS, this would
reduce the server load and bandwidth requirement because there's no
HTTP body being transferred.

About whether we want to make it cacheable by proxies:
1. AFAIK none of other OS vendors make it cacheable (HTTPS)
2. But make it cacheable may not do a significant harm to connectivity check
3. Non-cacheable connectivity checks give vendors a possibility of
getting an active user number anonymously.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Aron