The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Wed Jun 21 03:13:40 UTC 2017

Hi all,

An update on the transition to Python 3.6: Python 3.6 is now a supported
version in artful release, and almost all packages that build C extensions
have been rebuilt (pandas is still a problem).

We have created a PPA where python3.6 is the default and rebuilt all python
packages:
https://launchpad.net/~canonical-foundations/+archive/ubuntu/python3.6-as-default/+packages
and the next step is to fix all the failures this reveals.  The initial
failing source packages are listed in http://paste.ubuntu.com/24903638/
although some of those have been fixed now.

Once the failures are accounted for, we can flip the switch to make python
3.6 the default in the archive.

Cheers,
mwh