[ubuntu-studio-devel] Legacy Support

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:05:46 UTC 2017

Hi Len,

On 31 July 2017 at 02:22, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2017, Helios Martinez Dominguez wrote:
>
> There should be a way to provide x86 support natively while providing x64
>> upgrading on the go as detected, as needed or as stated. It would allow
>> to remain
>>

> We already do provide both 32 and 64 bit ISOs. Putting both on one ISO
> would pretty much double the size of an ISO that is the biggest ISO of all
> the Ubuntu ISOs. Last I checked, UbuntuSTudio did still load and work on
> well over 10 years old computers so long as they have at least 1 Gig ram
> (though more is needed to make the best use) There are enough people who
> rely on a machine not connected to tyhe internet to make on the go installs
> not practical.

I use the existing isos a lot. In particular, the isos can be used via
optical disc or USB flash drive. That makes life (and testing) easier.

There are a number of ways to see of a computer is (Intel/AMD) 64-bit
compatible.

1. Boot from a memtest86+ disc, look at the processor details on-screen and
Google that for more details. Or look it up on WikiPedia.

2. If running a Linux, use this command:-
grep -i lm /proc/cpuinfo

If you see "lm" listed in the "flags" line, 64-bit mode is available.

BW,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software