The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Fri Jul 21 03:36:15 UTC 2017

On 29 June 2017 at 10:43, Michael Hudson-Doyle <michael.hudson at canonical.com
> wrote:

> On 21 June 2017 at 15:13, Michael Hudson-Doyle <
> michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> An update on the transition to Python 3.6: Python 3.6 is now a supported
>> version in artful release, and almost all packages that build C extensions
>> have been rebuilt (pandas is still a problem).
>>
>> We have created a PPA where python3.6 is the default and rebuilt all
>> python packages: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-foundations/+arch
>> ive/ubuntu/python3.6-as-default/+packages and the next step is to fix
>> all the failures this reveals.  The initial failing source packages are
>> listed in http://paste.ubuntu.com/24903638/ although some of those have
>> been fixed now.
>>

> The 100 or so failures are now summarised in https://docs.google.com/
> spreadsheets/d/1Y8dy5cyu8DrmTvT4CNSaVSP2ZZT79sYhT_rAQ19bFUQ/edit?usp=
> sharing, please do check if any packages you care about are on the list
> and fix any that you can see how to. Uploading fixes direct to the archive
> is preferred, but if you lack the rights to do that, attaching a bug to a
> debdiff and subscribe me (mwhudson on lp) and I'll sponsor it v. quickly!

We've fixed many of these now, and I've uploaded the change to make python
3.6 the default version in artful. Next step is getting this to migrate,
see
http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/artful/update_excuses.html#python3-defaults
for that and please help fix anything that is preventing the migration
(like whatever it is that breaks botch with python 3.6 as default...)

Cheers,
mwh