locale issue in phpmyadmin build

Nish Aravamudan nish.aravamudan at canonical.com
Fri Feb 10 18:00:54 UTC 2017

On 10.02.2017 [01:41:03 +0100], Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> On 2017-02-10 00:14, Nish Aravamudan wrote:
> > phpmyadmin has been stuck in z-p for some time because of a testcase
> > failure (tests were only recently updated to run during the build)
> > and it seems to be a locale/iconv issue. The testcase in question is
> > attempting to //TRANSLIT the euro symbol, and iconv issues an error
> > on the euro symbol under C.UTF-8. I am able to reproduce this on the
> > shell a la: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23962998/
> >
> > I noticed the POSIX behavior, in contrast, because my lxd container
> > where I was testing was working and that was the default locale.
> > Note also the C locale passes, it's only C.UTF-8 that seems to have
> > this issue.
> >
> > Any ideas for resolving this? When I last examined this issue (a few
> > weeks ago, I think), I was unable to reproduce the failure in my Sid
> > container, but after updating and runnig it today, it also happened
> > there with the version currently in Sid.
>
> One thought when looking at your Pastebin: The € symbol does not exist in
> ISO-8859-1. Try ISO-8859-15.

Thanks to Gunnar (accidentally offlist, due to my failure to properly
use e-mail) and Adam Conrad (on IRC), I think this is a change in
behavior in the C.UTF-8 locale. I'm debugging it now and have also filed
Bug #854821 with Debian, as I am seeing the same behavior in Stretch/Sid.

-Nish

--
Nishanth Aravamudan
Ubuntu Server