Promote adobe-flashplugin over flashplugin-installer

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Fri Oct 28 18:38:35 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 05:37:48PM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> Are you saying that the additional download is a problem? If so, how
> exactly, and if not, then I don't follow how this mechanism makes a
> difference to users.

A wget or curl in a postinst command that fails (mediocre network
connectivity, unset http_proxy environment variables, temporarily failing
DNS, whatever) is going to be an unsightly mess to clean up if you're not
familiar with it.

The version of the package that downloads the flash binaries within the
package is going to be far more resilient against these failures, because
apt knows how to recover from nearly everything (except open wifi points
with captive http login portal nonsense).

Thanks