Keep or remove software-center?

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 10 14:16:06 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I'd vote for removing it as soon as possible from Zazzy Zorilla.  There are a
> couple of revdeps and revrecs and it's not worth chasing down any unintended
> fallout this close to the Yakkety release.

Yes, let's not remove it from yakkety.

I believe software-center has these features that gnome-software does not:
1. Shows all available packages
2. Supports paid apps
3. Works at times that gnome-software appears to refuse to start or
not show any content

For #1, we can refer users to synaptic, right?

If we're going to remove software-center at the start of Zazzy, I
recommend we have a list of bugs that ought to be fixed to bring it
back so it's clear what needs to be done. Here's a proposed list:

https://pad.lv/1616379 (Don't depend on python-debtagshw)
https://pad.lv/1631967 (Don't depend on aptdaemon; port to PackageKit directly)
https://pad.lv/823254 (port to python3, I think this is somewhat
optional since python2 will be in universe for a long time)

Thanks,
Jeremy