Installation Media and supportability of i386 in 18.04 LTS Re: Ubuntu Desktop on i386

Josh DuBois duboisj at codeweavers.com
Mon Jul 11 19:59:10 UTC 2016

On 7/11/16 11:17 AM, Bryan Quigley wrote:

> I could see us:
> * Determine Snappy is the best way to distribute Wine (which would
> require the bundling of 32-bit libs I think).
> * Keep a small amount of i386 libs/apps in 18.10+ including whatever
> it takes to build/run Wine (but drop the majority of packages)
> * Change Wine a bit to make this easier (no idea what this would
> entail, but we have 2+ years).
> In any case, I'm not going to push for dropping the i386 port until we
> have a good way for Wine to work. As mentioned we aren't planning to
> really consider that until 2018.  The focus now is purely on dropping
> 32-bit install isos and select related packages.
I'm glad to know people responded to your survey by mentioning Wine and
that it's being considered.  If you
do end up with ideas of how to change Wine to make things easier, I of
course encourage you to mention
these to the Wine community on wine-devel at winehq.org.  I mentioned this
issue on that list and I will probably mention your reply there as well
(cross-posting didn't seem appropriate in this instance, especially
since the Ubuntu list is moderated).  If there is something the Wine
community can do to make this easier for you, please don't hesitate to
let us know.

Thanks again for your response.  I am sure it is important to Wine that
we continue to be able to work on Ubuntu.

Regards,

   Josh