/usr/bin/gpg to be provided by 2.1.x series in Yakkety

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 31 16:02:31 UTC 2016

Hello,

Recently Debian has switched to 2.1.x by default
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/08/msg00000.html

And most of the bugs have been fixed by now in the archive, and these
have now made their way to yakkety.

I have requested an FFe which was granted to do the switch in Ubuntu
too. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1615039

This will mean that:

* /usr/bin/gpg and the gnupg binary packages will be provided by the
gnupg2 source package.

* gpg1 will be available from the gnupg1 binary and source package.

* old gnupg source package will be removed.

The plan is to upload the switch early on Thursday, and I will be
available to monitor or fix any fallout resulting from that. I'm not
expecting much, but surely something might turn up.

== Journalists ==

I'm not a spokesperson for Canonical or the Ubuntu Project.

Journalists and analysts seeking information should email  pr at canonical.com.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.