Call for testing: Samba security updates

Marc Deslauriers marc.deslauriers at canonical.com
Tue Apr 12 18:16:58 UTC 2016

Hello,

Today the Samba Team released updated Samba packages that fix the "Badlock"
security issue, and additional related man-in-the-middle and denial-of-service
issues:

http://badlock.org/

Since the fixes for these issues are massive, and newer versions of Samba
contain other interoperability and security improvements, we have decided to
upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu 15.10 to Samba 4.3.8.

For Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, we will be updating to 3.6.25 and adding backported fixes
for these issues provided by Andreas Schneider, Ralph Böhme, Stefan Metzmacher,
Günther Deschner and Aurélien Aptel.

If you are running Samba in your environment, please backup your configuration
and databases and help test the packages currently available in the security
team PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-security-proposed/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

These updated packages may introduce incompatible changes and may require
configuration adjustments depending on your environment.

Please report any regressions found in the following tracking bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1569497

If no issues are reported, we plan on releasing the packages as security
updates in a week.

Thanks,

Marc.

--