Mycroft integration with Unity 8

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 23 16:05:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 15:05 +0200, Michał Sawicz wrote:

> > As Mycroft client is in Python it'd be important for us to run it
> > natively in mobiles.
> > 2. Anyone knows if Python will be natively supported for Ubuntu mobiles
> > versions? Are there any restrictions or particularities for that to
> > happen?
>
> AFAICT there's no plans to support Python as a developer language for
> the platform, mostly because of resource considerations. Python (only
> version 3), however, is available on the device today, so if Mycroft
> became part of the platform, shipped on the devices, it'd need to be
> packaged as a .deb with appropriate dependencies. Note that, without
> knowing how you want to integrate, I can't comment on whether it's even
> a possibility for the products.

As we move to a Snappy based system apps will be able to include the
interpreter of their choice. So if, for instance the Mycroft developers
wanted to include Python3 they could and Snapcraft makes that pretty
easy. The difficult part here is that the interfaces may not have Python
libraries to access them, which is where choosing a different language
could become tricky.

It is important to note that in a Snappy world the base system doesn't
have an accessible Python3 interpreter. And I don't believe anything
that would be shipped as part of a Unity8 framework would ship it.

Ted