Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Fri May 8 12:49:23 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 07:27:39AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Proposal
> --------
> I propose to retire [mac], i. e. drop
> /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules and enable
> [ifnames] by default on all platforms (client, server, touch, snappy),
> and stop installing biosdevname on server.
>
> This will provide the new stable interface names for all new
> installations, stop the different handling of server/client, work with
> system-image, and stops the woes cloud providers have with Ubuntu's
> [mac].
>
> For upgrades: As we don't know what refers to existing stable network
> names, we can't ever safely remove a generated
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules or uninstall biosdevname. So
> when we do the above, names on existing installations will *not*
> change (as 70-persistent-net.rules trumps [biosdevname] trumps [ifnames]).

Will this cause a previously biosdevname generated name to change on
reinstall, or will ifnames end up with the same biosdevname-provided
name on systems that are being supplied biosdevname data? I think I
didn't really understand what ifnames would select in terms of servers
with biosdevname available.

Thanks,

Robie