upstart-local-bridge plan to support systemd

Tony Espy espy at canonical.com
Tue Jan 13 23:52:35 UTC 2015

On 01/12/2015 04:59 PM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> On 12 January 2015 at 20:16, Stephen M. Webb <stephen.webb at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 01/12/2015 02:39 PM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>>>
>>> This should unblock porting phone to systemd as pid 1. That is convert
>>> remaining custom upstart jobs to systemd units, and create matching
>>> preset policy to disable/enable things as needed.
>>
>> What impact does this (the problem and the solution) have on Ubuntu in the desktop experience?
>>

> It has little to none impact on full x86-like desktops/laptops.
> ubuntu-touch (not desktop-next) has a set of upstart job overrides to
> disable things that make no sense on a phone (e.g. tty1-6) and enable
> other things (using org.ofono modem, usb on the go, etc) starting UI
> in the session-init, for org.ofono modem ultimately operating against
> android hardware from inside system-level lxc container. On a standard
> x86-like laptop with a 3g modem one just talks direct to normal system
> org.ofono without these hoops and loops.

Not quite...  we have yet to switch over to ofono for 3g support on
desktop, this is by default, still handled by modem-manager.

That said, it's possible to run ofono on the desktop, and this might be
a good time to see if we can merge the touch ofono override job and
default ofono job instead of having to maintain a systemd drop-in for
ofono on touch.

Regards,
/tony