request for some pizzas

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 20 13:18:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> I'd like to claim €66 from the ubuntu community fund for some pizzas.
> This will be used at the Plasma sprint here in Barcelona to continue
> to work effectively late into the night with them as needed for
> Kubuntu 15.04.
>
> I've been told I need to request these ahead of time now.  This makes
> it far more burdensome and less useful.  I don't know where to send
> requests for this so I'm using this catch all list.

Hi Jonathan,

I'm a bit puzzled by this e-mail: you know very well where to request funds
for community events, as you've filed several such requests using this form
[1] over the last few months. In fact IIRC all of them have been approved
and reported [2] as any other approved requests.

> Requests to this fund are processed by Canonical's community team who
> explicity have chosen not to be involved in parts of the ubuntu
> community that canonical doesn't take part in,

We review these requests every week in the community team weekly call. They
often take longer than a week to process due to administrative overhead and
back and forth communication with requesters. Coincidentally, we just
discussed recommending requests to be filed a month in advance of the
actual event to set the expectations, especially after the fact that the
number of requests has steeply been increasing over the last couple of
months.

On the last request you filed, which was also approved, you were simply
asked not to file requests retroactively (that is, to send them in advance
rather than after the fact) and to provide detailed receipts, both of which
I think are sensible requirements.

> I think this should be
> moved to the community council or just to the teams directly.

I think it's fair to involve the CC and have a discussion if you really
think your requests haven't been handled fairly or if you believe there is
any flaw in the process. Either that, reaching to anyone in the community
team or sending an e-mail to the community team mailing list [3] would
probably be the best way forward. Everyone involved are easily reachable
and always open for discussion.

Cheers,
David.

[1] http://community.ubuntu.com/help-information/funding/