ISO generator for LoCo teams - UEFI booting language setting

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:26:01 UTC 2015

> The pseudo-script (really needs copy-pasting sections instead of
> executing) I've used to create it is at
> https://code.launchpad.net/ubuntu-fi-remix

All is still working for both UEFI and Legacy boot users with the
Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS Finnish Remix I released during a weekend after the
release: http://ubuntu.trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/ubuntu-finnish-remix/14.04/

But I did have a persisting problem where I'd like to hear some input:

Is it possible to set the default language on UEFI boot, or is it
somehow restricted due to Secure Boot signing or such? Neither the
simple method I use (echo fi | sudo tee extract-cd/isolinux/lang) nor
the gfxboot hack mentioned at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization has an effect -
UEFI boots always in English.

Optimally the language would be set for the boot menu already, since
on UEFI the boot menu is always shown unlike on Legacy boot where
there's just the icon if no input is given. But if that's not
possible, maybe setting it before the desktop or installer starts?

-Timo