PackageKit/Python: pk.install_packages() not able to install a package

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 15:36:48 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 04:45 PM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

>> After Googling and having seen
>>
>> https://gitorious.org/appstream/software-center/commit/7d50219075436e2f74cd5a7380e8776eb9d87b03?diffmode=sidebyside
>>
>> I simply tried replacing
>>
>> pk = PackageKitGlib.Client()
>>
>> by
>>
>> pk = PackageKitGlib.Task()
>>
>> in install-printerdriver.py
>>
>> The script kept working as before, including giving the same error when
>> installing the package.
> That's odd. Maybe reporting a bug is a good option now, since I don't
> see an obvious mistake you made here.
> Can you run
> sudo /usr/lib/packagekit/packagekid --verbose

I had to install the package "packagekit" for that, which also installs
"packagekit-backend-aptcc" and uninstalls "python3-aptdaemon.pkcompat".
so it seems to switch over from apt-daemon to PackageKit mode. This
would probably be a too high impact to fix the problem.

Advantage of PackageKit mode is that pkcon is fully functional. Things
like "pkcon backend-details" and "pkcon repo-list" work now.

> in a second terminal and then execute your script and attach the
> output of the packagekit daemon somewhere?

I tried, but my "install-printerdriver" script already failed installing
the signature.

Good news: "pkcon install openprinting-gutenprint" popped up a window
for the password and then installed the package.

> Cheers,
>     Matthias
>
> Btw, let's see if posting with my d.o address gets the message pass
> through to the list ;-)

I got it at least.

   Till