update cadence & backlog management for Ubuntu on Phones

Oliver Ries oliver.ries at canonical.com
Thu Sep 11 22:04:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Ted Gould <ted at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 16:06 -0600, Oliver Ries wrote:
>
> Update Cadence:
> * System components:
>  - OTA (over the air) updates in 4 week iterations, starting at retail date
>  - Content
>
>    - Critical/High bug fixes that are not leading to data loss or loss of
> major functionality
>
>    - UX fixes
>
>    - Prioritized feature backlog
>

> I'm a bit confused here with the feature backlog. Currently we're landing
> fixes in Utopic, and then if appropriate syncing those fixes over to the
> RTM branch to get into the production images. But features couldn't land in
> Utopic because it's in feature freeze. Do you expect that there'll be
> features that only land in RTM? Or is this more for when V¹ opens and
> features could land there and be synced over to RTM?

the latter, plus also basing it on the very well working "standing" feature
freeze exception for "phone" features, which was just recently called out
of not being needed in U at all (lucky us;)

The default assumption and guideline is that features land in the shared
code base (main/universe) rather than in a product specific branch(e.g. RTM
atm), in accordance with the respective rules/timelines for the shared
Ubuntu code base.

hope this makes sense,
Olli