Trusty X crashiness in a VMware Fusion VM

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 4 15:01:18 UTC 2014

X seems to be highly unstable when running Trusty inside a VMware Fusion 6.0.2
VM on OS X 10.9.2, as of at least 2014-02-24.  LP: #1284134 is where I
reported the bug.  It's highly disruptive.

Has anybody else noticed this?  Does anybody have any thoughts or workarounds?
I have a snapshot dated 23-Feb which I may have to fall back to and then pin
various packages in the X stack until I regain a stable desktop.  I haven't
completely ruled out the OS X 10.9.2 update, which I installed on 25-Feb.

I'm fairly certain it's related to xserver-xorg-video-vmware; running Trusty
on native hardware, X seems as solid as ever.

Cheers,
-Barry