[RFC/CFT] Trusty work for dmraid

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Jan 21 15:25:36 UTC 2014

On 21.01.2014 16:15, Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 1/21/2014 9:59 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> The udev rule for dmraid does not key on specific raid types but on
>> generic raid usage:
>
>> SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_TYPE}=="disk",
>> ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="raid", KERNEL=="hd[a-z]|sd[a-z]", \
>> RUN+="/sbin/dmraid-activate %k" ENV{DM_STATE}=="ACTIVE",
>> ENV{DM_UUID}=="DMRAID-*", \ RUN+="/sbin/kpartx -a /dev/$kernel"
>
>> Maybe those could get replaced by individual types but removing
>> support completely seemed "simpler" and guaranteed to succeeed.
>
> I was concerned that attempting to activate the array and failing (
> because support had been removed ) would at least cause bogus errors
> in logs, and might trip up the initramfs.

Ah ok, I have not seen that when testing the various stages with the isw raid5 I
have here. It just will not get detected and not brought up.
That reminds me actually that for any real upload, the migration needs to be
made more safe. Not sure whether always pulling in mdadm when installing the
dmraid without isw support would be ok.
But something along this line as otherwise "/" on isw raid would get broken on
upgrade. I have not done this yet. Currently this is just plain implementation
in the tool.