remove i386 from foreign arch on server install?

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 13 11:24:18 UTC 2014

Hey all,
  I just did an ISO server install of trusty server, and I end up with
'i386' in the output of:
  $ dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
  i386

  I really wish we'd have done it earlier, but I really think that most of
the time this is just a waste of network traffic on 'apt-get update' on a
server.  If people want i386 packages on amd64, its trivial for them to
re-enable it.

  What do people think about removing this?
  Does anyone have a use case where this is important, and is not easily
worked around just by doing:
  sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

  Scott