FYI: systemd in cloud-images

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 6 21:09:48 UTC 2014

Hey,
  Just wanted to let people know that thanks to Dimitri's help, we now
have systemd in the cloud images.  It is inert by default, but we've set
up a way that you can launch an instance to boot with systemd.  By feeding
the instance some user-data, cloud-init will boot up to its early stages,
see the specified user-data and then set systemd up and reboot into it.

  Specify user-data as you would elsehwere (cloud-localds, user-data to
cloud provider or 'lxc-create -t ubuntu -- --userdata').  The following
should do the trick:

#cloud-config
init_switch:
 target: systemd
 reboot: true

# 'target' can be 'systemd' or 'upstart'.  Best effort is made, but its
# possible this system will break, and probably won't interact well with any
# other mechanism you've used to switch the init system.
#
# 'reboot': [default=true].
#   true: reboot if a change was made.
#   false: do not reboot.