Aiming for Qemu 2.0 in 14.04

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 2 16:38:18 UTC 2014

Quoting RS (rs at pswl.com):
> Hello Steve,
> Very Interested in helping to test Qemu 2 in Trusty.
>
> Have  been  trying  to  get  a  virtualisation  hypervisor working for
> considerable  time.  Is  there  any chance of a step by step guide for
> setting  up  for  a  reasonably intelligent but not techie/experienced
> user  of  linux,  who,  while  happy  to  use cmd line would need some
> guidance.  Very  willing to follow instructions and learn. I have been
> using ubuntu on and off since Breezy.
>
> Presumably  you  would want it tested against beta 2 rather than daily
> builds.
> I  have  an Asus Sabretooth 990FX with UEFI Bios an AMD 64 FX 6 series
> Bulldozer and 16 Gig RAM, SSD and big SATA3 HD, and plenty of time and
> patience.

Hi,

the 2.0 candidate is currently only in ppa:ubuntu-virt/candidate.  You
can install it on a 14.04 host using:

	sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common
	sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-virt/candidate
	sudo apt-get update
	sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm

Now you can use libvirt, virt-manager, and uvtool to manage VMs if you like
(see https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/libvirt.html and
https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/cloud-images-and-uvtool.html),
or you can use kvm by hand (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Directly)

thanks,